Sunday, August 14, 2016

A Little Birdie Told Me

We all have that one person in our lives who doesn't like to make a big fuss over their birthday.  For me, that's my boss.  He's a very soft-spoken, humble person who doesn't like to have the lime light on him.  Even when he has received honors for his achievements at work, he gets uncomfortable having all eyes on him.  He has done so much for the underprivileged kids in the Minneapolis area (some of the really bad parts of town where kids often slip through the cracks; and he wants to give every kid the opportunity to achieve all their potential, so he's been honored/recognized many times, and is always SO humble).  So....when it comes to his birthday, he'd just rather pretend it's like any other day and just let it slide by.  But I can't let an awesome person like this who does SO much for kids go unappreciated on his special day.  I made him this card, and I'm making a buttermilk Bundt cake with cream cheese frosting to give him at our back-to-school meeting on Monday.  He will be a bit embarrassed; but believe me, he deserves the recognition.  He's an awesome guy.
I made this card using items from my "super stash".  They're from Crate Paper's Recollections line which is SUPER old.  If I could still find it, I'd buy more of it because I love it and enjoy creating with it.  It makes really great guys' cards, and just has an awesome edgy and retro feel to it.

I followed a sketch that I saw over on the Sketch Saturday Blog, and created my background on my own using these cool pattern papers and piecing them together.  I debated machine stitching them, but decided not to stitch this particular card since it's for a guy.  I also used a sticker and chipboard piece from this line, and I stamped a sentiment (Happy Birthday) at the bottom.  It's fairly simple, but it makes the point that I want to celebrate this very special man on his birthday.  That's why I used the sentiment "A Little Birdie Told Me".....because he just doesn't like the attention a whole lot.

Sketch Saturday Challenge Blog - Challenge Week #425 - This is such a cute sketch, but it still worked great for a guy's card.  I just love it.

Pile It On Challenge Blog - Challenge #114 Make Your Own Background - and that's just what I did...I made my own background by piecing together various pattern papers to create a "manly" background for this card.

Word Art Wednesday - Challenge Weeks #242-243 - Anything Goes/Family Friendly - Anyone can come by and play along.  I learned that you don't have to use scripture to join the fun, and they really have some great prizes at this fun challenge blog.

CropStop - Linky Party #19 - Anything Goes - I used lots of great Tim Holtz Distress Inks as sold at CropStop.  

Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge - Simon Says "Let's Go Wild" and I went wild with my fun patterned papers, and also used a wild animal (an owl).

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for stopping by my blog today.  I appreciate your visits and your kind words.  I would love to have you FOLLOW MY BLOG, and I would be happy to follow yours in return.  I love making new blog friends.  Just let me know, and thanks again!

Sierra


4 comments:

  1. Super fun card for your boss, Sierra. Thanks so much for sharing it in our challenge, and please stop by to join us again soon.
    Blessings to you,
    Karen
    Word Art Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fun mix of pattern, Sierra! And your owl is definitely great for our "wild" theme at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge! Thanks for playing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fab card Sierra. Great pattern combination. Thanks for playing along with us at Sketch Saturday and we hope to see you again soon. Hugs, Gale DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful card!
    Thanks for playing at Pile It On!
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete